Saturday, February 22, 2014

Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash

I'm on a mission to improve on how healthy the food I eat is. So I have been trying new recipes and finally got around to making this recipe for Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash. I have never baked an acorn squash before, but it turned out really good. I think I prefer the taste of a butternut squash better, so I might stuff a butternut squash with this quinoa - because the quinoa was delicious!

Ingredients - serves 4

- 2 small acorn squashes, sliced in half with seeds removed
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/8 cup water
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1/3 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup broccolini, chopped (I used broccoli)
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 2 Tofurky Kielbasa links, sliced (I used turkey Kielbasa - not a huge tofu fan)
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil for brushing

1. Preheat oven to 375. Fill a large baking dish with 1/4 inches of water. Place acorn squash cut-side-down in the water. Poke squash a few times with a fork.
2. Bake squash for 30 minutes.
3. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add quinoa and water to it. Lower heat and cook quinoa as directed on box.
4. Add broccolini, leeks, onion, garlic and red bell pepper to the cooked quinoa.
5. Saute until broccolini is tender, stir in Kielbasa, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
6. Drain the baking dish with the squash in it and flip the squash halves face up. Apply thin coat of olive oil to the squash. Divide quinoa mixture amongst the squash halves.
7. Bake for additional 10-15 minutes.

Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash

Enjoy!
Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment