- 1 oz. chocolate chopped (I used dark chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup coffee, hot
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa, unsweetened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/8 c. corn syrup
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. butter, unsalted
- 6 oz. chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 13"x8" or an 8"x11" cake pan with cooking spray.
2. Melt 1 oz. of chocolate in hot coffee, mix completely.
3. In your Kitchenaide mixer beat your egg. Slowly add sugar, buttermilk, vanilla, coffee mixture, and vegetable oil.
4. In a medium bowl mix all your dry ingredients: flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to wet mixture.
5. Pour batter into cake pan and cook for 30-35 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, make your frosting by combining all ingredients and whisking together with your whisk attachment on your Kitchenaid Mixer. Mix on high for 5 minutes until thickened. Place in a small sandwich bag and place in the refrigerator.
7. When cake is cooled completely, cut our hearts with a heart cookie cutter. With a knife, cut out a little piece of cake from the middle, you will pour frosting inside it.
8. Make your ganache by placing your chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Boil your cream and butter on the stovetop, quickly add to chocolate. Let cool for 5 minutes and stir chocolate and cream together.
1. Place frosting in the middle of each cake.
2. Allow to chill for 10 minutes in the fridge.
3. Place ganache on top of each cake and spread thinly, place back in the fridge for 20 minutes.
4. Flip cakes over and repeat the ganache on the other side. Place back in the fridge for 20 minutes.
5. Snip a small hole in the corner of your frosting bag and pipe "Love" on your cakes. Keep in refrigerator until ready to eat!
Cooled cake with heart cookie cutter
Hole cut our of cake middles and filled with frosting
Cakes covered in ganache
Cakes covered in ganache on other side and "love" icing
Valentine's Ding Dong
Frosting in the middle