Avocados and eggs are so delicious when paired together! I visited my sister this past April in Savannah, GA and was introduced to Avocado Toast at a local brunch place. I loved it so much that I decided to make my own at home! Using my toaster oven, I toasted my artisan bread, mashed half of an avocado and placed it on top of my toast, sprinkled some salt and pepper and fried up an egg to place on top! You can even add some sliced tomato or sprinkle some cheese on it too! I think making avocado toast is fun and you can be even more creative with what you place on top as you wish. Yum!
- 1/2 avocado, mashed
- salt and pepper
- fried egg
- slice of artisan bread, toasted
- sliced tomato
Summer is in the air here in Philly! Caprese Chicken Salad with a delicious dressing! My kids loved the simpleness of this chicken with the dressing to use as a dipping sauce. They even loved the cherry tomatoes, mozzarella cheese pearls, and sliced avocado as well. Enjoy this simple salad outside during these Summer days with big slices of watermelon!
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- mixed greens
- grilled/baked chicken breasts seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mozzarella balls/pearls
- 1 avocado sliced
1. Mix your balsamic vinegarette salad dressing and store in an air tight container. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
2. On a plate, place your mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, avocado and sliced grilled chicken on top.
3. Drizzle salad dressing on top.
I've been married to my love for 6 years! So I made a homemade chocolate cake with buttercream frosting and it was oh so good... I have been seeing a lot of 'deconstructed' cakes on my Pinterest feed so I thought I'd try my hand at making one. It was very easy, and I think it helped that the frosting was pretty thick. I used an icing spatula, which allowed me to get the frosting smooth (like at a bakery) then once the spaces between the cake layers were filled, I just scraped some of the frosting away to expose the cake underneath - alas, you have a deconstructed cake! I melted some chocolate chips and dipped some strawberries for the top of the cake and ordered a gold glitter "Love" cake topper off Etsy to complete my Anniversary cake. And let me tell you... the leftovers are still just as good to eat the next day!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. espresso powder, I used finely ground coffee
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
1. Mix your dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, espresso powder, together in your Kitchenaid Mixer.
2. Slowly add your milk, vegetable oil, 2 eggs (one at a time) and vanilla to your dry ingredients.
3. Slowly add your boiling water and beat batter on medium for 1 minute. This will thin your batter.
4. Line the bottom of your cake pans with parchment paper and grease them. Divide your cake into thirds or halves in your cake pans, I made 3 layers.
5. Bake cake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
6. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
1. Beat your butter with whisk attachment in Kitchenaid Mixer until fluffy.
2. Slowly add your powdered sugar. The mixture will get very crumbly.
3. Add your vanilla and milk and mix until desired consistency.
I bought some baby chicken drumsticks to make with this recipe and it turned out so well! I plan to make it with wings for our next party. The key was using the broiler at the end to get the chicken crispy without frying. I dipped mine in ranch dressing but I don't think you need to dip them into anything. Kid-friendly!
Garlic Parmesan Wings
- 2 dozen chicken wings
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. garlic
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
2. Season your wings/drumsticks with salt and pepper and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes.
3. In a saucepan heat your butter and olive oil until butter has melts. Whisk in parsley, garlic and salt. Heat on low.
4. Turn broiler on after you take wings out of the oven and drain the excess liquids. Broil wings for 10 minutes. Flip wings over and broil for 10 more minutes.
5. Place wings in a bowl and pour sauce on top. Add parmesan cheese and toss wings to coat.
Happy (almost) Easter! I made this beautiful Easter bread last year and did not take pictures of it, so I repeated it this year and took pictures to share with you! We are traveling for Easter, so I will include the recipe for the powdered sugar glaze, although I will not be making mine until Easter morning to the bread travels nicely. Hope you all can celebrate with friends and family!
1. Heat your milk and 2 tbsp. butter until butter has melted, allow to cool so it is warm milk.
2. Place 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and yeast in your Kitchenaid mixer with dough hook attachment.
3. Slowly pour your milk in and mix the dough. Add your remaining flour slowly. Add your eggs.
4. Allow dough hook to mix dough into a ball.
5. Grease a large mixing bowl and place your dough ball inside. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place. I heated my oven to 180 degrees and turned it off before placing my bowl inside.
6. Allow bread to rise for an hour.
7. Punch out your dough on a floured surface and divide into two pieces. Make two ropes that are about 2 feet long. tuck the ends together on one side and twist ropes together. Pinch ends together.
8. Place bread on a greased baking sheet.
9. Gently brush your bread with the remaining tbsp. of melted butter.
10. Separate the twist and place your dyed eggs into the dough.
11. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30-35 min.
12. Allow bread to cool, once cooled you can pour your glaze and sprinkles on top.
Our little superhero is turning 3 this week! I can't believe it! This year Palmer's actual birthday lands on Easter weekend, so we decided to celebrate early this past weekend. A few semi-homemade touches and a couple of friends, pizza and cake and he had the best time! I had a custom Spiderman shirt and cape made for him to wear at the party from Etsy. I had also ordered each kid a cape and mask to wear at the party. Hope you enjoy what I did!
The Cake - I wanted to make a fun cake that had different colored layers inside and used blue Sixlet candies to decorate the outside bottom of the cake. Found cute little superhero 'star' candles to place on top!
Three different colored cake layers
Star candles and sixlet candies
The Decor - I made a city outline out of black foam board, chalk, and yellow construction paper. Turned out so cute! I bought the comic book birthday banner from Punch Bowl.
City outline and banner
Table set for pizza and cake
Party Favors - wish I had taken a picture of all the kids wearing their capes but they ran around our house non-stop until it was time for food! Each kid got to pick out their own cape and take home 2 homemade cookies - a spiderman and the number "3."
Bachelor fans! I won't disclose who won, but I wanted her to win and so I invited a few ladies over to watch the 3 hour finale! We all put our kids to bed and gathered for some dessert and wine. Not pictured are the delicious brownies one of my friends brought over with a caramel sauce on top. A simple and delicious dessert I made was a strawberry shortcake trifle with my pretty trifle bowl. We had a blast watching and feasting!
Simple Strawberry Shortcake Trifle
- 2 x 8 oz. Cool Whip
- Angel food cake, cut into cubes
- Strawberries, sliced
1. Place a layer of Angel food cake on the bottom of your trifle bowl.
2. Spread a layer of Cool Whip on top of your cake.
3. Stick strawberries slices along the outside of your bowl and on top of your Cool Whip layer.
4. Repeat layers.
5. End with Cool Whip on top with sliced strawberries around the top.