Classic Apple Turnovers
- 4 medium sized apples, cored and diced
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 1 x 17.5 package frozen pastry puff thawed
Cream Cheese Icing
- 6 tbsp. cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup warm milk
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. On a floured surface, roll your pastry puff out to 12"x12" square. Cut each sheet into 4 equal sized squares (8 total).
3. Combine your apples with lemon juice in a bowl. Add sugars, nutmeg, cinnamon, cornstarch, and salt and mix together.
4. Brush the edges of your pastry square with an egg wash or milk and place 1/3 cup of your apple mixture in the center. Fold the dough over diagonally and press together, making a triangle.
5. Transfer to your cookie sheet. Repeat for the remaining pastry puff squares.
6. Brush the tops of the turnovers with egg wash or milk and make a slit at the top of each turnover with a knife.
7. Bake for 20 minutes.
8. For icing, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat until smooth. Drizzle on top of the turnovers. Serve warm.
Bag of freshly picked apples!
Coring and dicing my apples (some of mine were very small)
1/3 cup of apple mixture in the pastry puff
Apple turnovers ready to go in the oven
Apple Turnover with Icing
Apple Picking with my mom and sister
Me and the boys
My sister, Rachael