Monday, January 13, 2014

Green Stovetop Side Dishes

I always struggle with making a side dish, usually a vegetable, more creative than my usual steamed broccoli with salt and pepper. So this year I have already found two new ways to cook veggies that don't take a lot of time, granted you could always throw some vegetables in the oven and roast them with some seasonings. I have been experimenting with brussel sprouts. I have never been a huge 'fan' of brussel sprouts, but when fried up with some olive oil and garlic - delicious! I have come around! Below is my recipe for brussel sprouts, which only take about 10 minutes to prepare.

Stovetop Brussel Sprouts

Ingredients
- 1 lb. brussel sprouts
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil at medium heat in a large skillet.
2. Add garlic and let cook for about 2 minutes.
3. Add brussel sprouts and remaining olive oil. Saute until brussel sprouts are soft in the middle (poke with a fork). It helps to leave the lid on the skillet while the brussel sprouts cook. And don't forget to have them cook on both sides!

 Brussel Sprouts in olive oil/garlic 

Turning brussel sprouts over to cook on the other side

Another side I saw on Pinterest and have been dying to try is Caesar Green Beans. Super simple to make, especially if you buy a bag of fresh green beans that you can just stick in the microwave to steam before you fry on the stovetop. I put some sea salt on my green beans, but found that the Caesar dressing was more than enough flavor and I did not need the additional salt. These green beans are to die for and I will probably be making them once a week!

Caesar Green Beans 

Ingredients
- 1-2 lbs. fresh green beans
- 1/2 bottle of Caesar dressing
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt (optional)
- 1 1/2-2 tbsp. parmesan cheese

1. Steam your green beans in the microwave or in a pot of boiling water for 6-8 minutes.
2. Add green beans to a frying pan on medium heat.
3. Pour salt, parmesan cheese, and Caesar dressing on the green beans.
4. Saute and stir until your side dish is heated through and ready!

 Ingredients

Caesar Green Beans

Enjoy!
Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment