Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Homemade Tomato Soup

I have been trying to make some warm dishes since it is so cold out! I have a "The Best of Fine Cooking: Weeknight Dinner Recipes" magazine I got from a local grocery store a few years back that has some great recipes. I have been making a few things from it to include this Homemade Smoky Tomato Soup! It has bacon. It is a winner. I served the soup with grilled cheese - I love comfort food!

Ingredients

- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 strips of bacon
- 1 large onion, diced
- salt
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. sweet or hot smoked paprika (pimenton), I used regular paprika
- 1 x 28 oz. can of whole tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- black pepper

1. The oil in a large saucepan and add the bacon and cook over medium heat. Transfer finished bacon to the side and allow to drain excess grease on a paper towel. Coarsely chop your bacon.
2. Add the onion to your bacon greased saucepan with 1/2 tsp. of salt. Cook until onion begins to brown.
3. Sprinkle the flour on top of the onions along with 2 tsp. of thyme, and paprika. Cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the tomatoes and chicken broth, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to allow to thicken.
5. Using a blender, (I used my Magic Bullet with Pitcher attachment) in batches, puree your soup. Return the soup to the pan, stir in the cream, bring to a boil.
6. Season your soup with salt and pepper as desired.
7. Serve with bacon and remaining thyme.

Homemade Tomato Soup

Enjoy!
Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment