Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Grinch Cookies

Every year I get a group of friends together and their kids for our annual 'Christmas Pajama Play Date.' Well this year was a tad different because everyone has another kid and our 'little' group grew a little more! 13 kids total. So my sweet friend bought a new, bigger house this year, and we threw the play date at her house! What a blast the kids had - chaos, cookies, and SUGAR! Of course all the kids wore their Christmas pajamas. I love traditions and this one is my favorite to do because I am a mommy now and my kids love this time of year!

I've been trying really hard to teach my 4-year-old that Christmas is more than just about presents. It's hard to understand this, so we have been reading/watching "Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas." My kids love the book! I think it has a really valuable lesson to teach about Christmas meaning more than just about stuff. So, for the play date we had the kids decorate graham cracker gingerbread houses and decorate a cookie with frosting and sprinkles. I also made some "Grinch Cookies" that turned out delicious!

*Disclaimer: since it's not Valentine's, it's really hard to find heart sprinkles, so I ordered mine off of eBay.

As a take home party favor, I made "Grinch Dust" out of sugar and food coloring with a poem.

Grinch Cookies

- 1 box white or vanilla cake mix
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 drop green food coloring
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- heart sprinkles

1. Mix cake mix, eggs, flour, oil together.
2. Add your food coloring.
3. Allow dough to firm up in your refrigerator for 10 minutes.
4. Make 1 inch balls with the dough and roll in powdered sugar. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
5.  Place one heart sprinkles in the middle of each dough ball.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes.

 Ingredients

 Green Dough

 My little cookie helper

 Grinch Cookies about to go into the oven!

Grinch Cookies

"Grinch Dust"

 Palmer and Vaughn decorating gingerbread cookies

 Babies in pajamas!

 Big kids in pajamas!

Goofy faces!

Enjoy!
Brittney



No comments:

Post a Comment