Tuesday, October 7, 2014

My 30th Birthday Pink Rose Ombre Cake

I turned the big "3-0" yesterday. Now I haven't been looking forward to turning 30, but my realistic husband kept reminding me there was no avoiding this from happening - so empathetic! No amount of crying could keep my birthday from coming so I made myself the most beautiful birthday cake! My husband has actually been deployed for my last two birthdays, so I am so happy he was here for this birthday. He even made reservations and took me out to dinner that didn't serve "chicken nuggets and french fries" and treated me to a pumpkin stout beer at a local taproom. I'm so glad I got to celebrate turning '30' with my love and got to start the evening out eating a slice of this sweet cake with my two sweet boys! (Apologies to our babysitter who had to entertain two sugar high kids!!!)

Now, I'm not sure if it's bad luck to make your own birthday cake, but I have been dying to make an ombre cake covered in gorgeous roses - so why not make one for myself for my big special day?! Of course I used pink food coloring in a darker shade, lighter shade and white frosting for my three later cake. I do wish I had had enough frosting to frost it before I frosted the flowers on it, but details details! Pink is my favorite color and this cake was perfect for a girl surrounded by boys all day long!

White Cake Recipe

- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line your 9" cake pans with parchment paper.
2. Combine your flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and sift, set aside.
3. In your mixer, beat your egg whites until foamy and slowly add 1/2 cup of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
4. Beat butter until smooth and slowly add 1 cup of sugar until fluffy.
5. Slowly add milk and flour, alternating between the two.
6. Mix in vanilla, almond, and egg whites.
7. Divide and color your batter is desired before placing in the cake pans (I used 3).
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

White Chocolate Buttercream

- 6 oz. white chocolate, I used Baker's white chocolate bar
- 2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

1. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt your white chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments at 60% power.
2. Once chocolate has melted, allow to cool completely.
3. In your mixer, beat your butter until smooth. Add your powdered sugar and salt and continue to mix together.
4. Add your heavy whipping cream and vanilla. Combine well.
5. Mix in your white chocolate. Makes about 2 1/2 cups of frosting.

*Roses were made with a piping bag and flower frosting tip. I might try making them with a different frosting tip, since the one recommended I could not find and the back up one that looked like it was not making pretty roses for me. Overall, I am satisfied with my first attempt at making frosting roses!

 Cake batter

 Three shades of batter for ombre cake

 Baked cakes!
 White Chocolate Buttercream Roses

 Gorgeous!
 The boys sang "Happy Birthday" to me and my parents/sister were on FaceTime/speaker phone to join in!

 They had to help me blow out my candles...

 I'm 30. 

Ombre cake inside

Enjoy!
Brittney



No comments:

Post a Comment