Sunday, March 2, 2014

Baby's 1st Smash Cake

My baby boy is turning ONE next month. Although sad that my baby will soon be a toddler, I am excited to plan his "Pirate Party." So excited in fact, we took some pictures of him in his "1" shirt while eating a smash cake yesterday. I even decided to try my hand at a healthy smash cake that has bananas and applesauce in it! My son loves bananas - "BA NA NA" - so it fit! This cake was more like a dense banana bread that was very flavorful. The frosting wasn't very sweet, so when it comes time for his real birthday I might add some powdered sugar to sweeten the frosting up a bit!

Banana Smash Cake

Ingredients:

- 4 bananas, smashed
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 3 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 egg whites

Frosting:

- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 tsp. vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease your cake pan. I used a 6 inch cake pan for a small "smash cake."
2. Mix all cake ingredients together, adding the mashed bananas last.
3. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Allow to cool completely before frosting cake.

My 3-year-old smashing the bananas

 Banana cake batter

 Frosting ingredients

 Frosted Smash Cake

 Sweet Palmer likes it!

 Not ready to have a 1-year-old soon...

Enjoy!
Brittney


No comments:

Post a Comment