Sunday, May 26, 2013

Cupcakes are out... Macarons are in!

I follow a lady on Instagram named Picky Palate and she has this awesome blog with different recipes she has made. One of her recipes was for Cookies and Cream Double Stuf Macarons. This recipe has been burning a hole in my pocket to try out. But I had to order a food scale so I could make accurate measurements in grams. Some of my macarons came out a tad cracked and I had to bake them a little longer than I thought, so there was some trial and error with my batch. I also couldn't find chocolate wafers at my grocery store, so I used BelVita Chocolate Breakfast Biscuits, that were actually delicious. Below is the recipe and pictures of my process. These macarons were really good and I'm glad I tried my hand at making them. I hope my next batch of Macarons turn out even better!

Macaron Ingredients

95 grams egg whites (about 3 large eggs)
45 grams chocolate wafers, crushed
65 grams almond meal/flour (used Red Mill)
200 grams powdered sugar
25 grams granulated sugar

1. Preheat over to 280 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. I printed this macaron template to use under my parchment paper as a guide. Just remember to remove the template before baking!
2. Weigh all of the above ingredients on a food scale.
3. Beat egg whites and granulated sugar in a stand mixer with whisk attachment on medium until stiff peaks form. (about 5 minutes) Set aside.
4. Mix almond flour, chocolate wafers, and powdered sugar together in a bowl. Sift until all dry ingredients have passed through. Gently fold in egg whites until combined.
5. Place batter in a large pastry bag, I used a large freezer bag, with large round tip attached. Pipe rounds on top of template.
**6. Give your baking sheet a good 3 hard taps on your counter top before putting macarons in the oven. This will get rid of any extra air in your batter and will prevent cracks from forming on the tops of your cookies.
7. Bake macaroons for 22-25 minutes. Mine were completed at 23 minutes. Macarons should have a shiny shell and "feet" around the edges. Let them cool completely before using a spatula to lift them away from the parchment paper. Pair "like" sized macarons together to fill.

Oreo Buttercream Filling

1 stick of softened butter
1 cup powdered sugar
2 crushed Oreo cookies

1. Beat butter and powdered sugar together in stand mixer until creamy and smooth. Add crushed Oreos and beat until combined.
2. Place in another piping bag with large round tip attached.
3. Pipe a dollop of frosting on a macaron and top with the frosting center of an oreo with another dollop of frosting before topping the other macaron on top. (See picture.)

Chocolate Breakfast Biscuits I Crushed

Almond Meal/Flour

Almond Meal/Flour on Food Scale (picture taken after I weighed 65 grams)

 Egg Whites with Stiff Peaks

 Dry Ingredients Combined, Being Sifted, Sifted Completely, Egg Whites Folded In

Macaron Template Used Under Parchment Paper

Batter in Piping (Freezer) Bag, Piped on top of Template

 
 Baked Macarons with "Feet"

 Oreo Center Removed from Cookie

Dollop of Oreo Buttercream, Oreo Frosting Center, Dollop of Oreo Buttercream Macaron Sandwich

 Cookies and Cream Double Stuf Macaron


Enjoy!
Brittney  



No comments:

Post a Comment