Sunday, January 4, 2015

Tomato Pie

Today, I was running outside and it was 8 degrees! 8 degrees! It was so cold, it took me and my friend at least 3 miles to warm up on the trail. With the drastic change from 50s-60s degree weather to the teens here, I have been on the search for hearty (and healthy) meals. Over break we had a "Tomato Pie" casserole for lunch, so I thought I could find one similar and make it myself. Although this recipe is different, it has great flavor and is fresh. I served it with warmed naan, but you can also use French bread. It tastes like pizza!

Tomato Pie

- 5 tomatoes, sliced
- salt and pepper
- prebaked deep dish pie shell
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 10 fresh basil leaves, I used dried basil- about 1 tbsp.
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (or half Greek yogurt and half mayo)
- 2 tbsp. parmesan cheese

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place your sliced tomatoes in a colander and rinse, sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
3. Dry your tomatoes with paper towels and line the bottom of your pie shell with them.
4. Place your green onions and basil on top and season with salt and pepper.
5. In a separate bowl, mix your mozzarella and cheddar cheeses with the Green yogurt.
6. Spread yogurt mixture on top of your tomatoes. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
7. Bake for 30 minutes and serve warm.

 Tomatoes in pie crust

 Green onions, basil, salt and pepper

 Cheese mixture and parmesan cheese on top

Tomato Pie!

Enjoy!
Brittney


No comments:

Post a Comment