Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Old School Candy Cane Cookies

Well it's 8 degrees and snowing outside here in Colorado Springs... and tomorrow is our MOPS holiday cookie contest. Of course my cookies are ready to win, I mean, go. But we may have our meeting cancelled. Sad. But my cookies turned out so cute and delicious!

I remember making these cookies with my mom and sister when I was younger and thought I would try them as an adult. They are fairly simple, but the rolling out the separate colors to make the actual 'candy cane' takes some time. I think it took me about 20 minutes to make 10 cookies. So make sure you have some time to do this! Also, the recipe I used called for shortening, I used an additional 1/2 cup and 2 tbsp. of butter instead. Here is the recipe:

Candy Cane Cookies *makes about 2 dozen cookies

- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour (plus 2 1/2 tbsp. at high altitude)
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. red food coloring

Peppermint Sprinkle Topping
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermints (I used candy canes)
- 1/2 cup sugar

1. Mix butter and powdered sugar together until well blended.
2. Add the egg, almond extract, and vanilla.
3. Mix flour and salt together in a separate bowl and add slowly to the butter mixture.
4. Divide your dough into two equal balls. Place "white" ball in cling wrap and in the fridge to chill.
5. Add red food coloring to the remaining ball of dough and blend until red. Place in cling wrap and into the fridge.
6. Chill dough for 2-3 hours.
7. Make 1 inch balls in each color, roll out into a 4 inch strip, twist together and place in a 'candy cane' shape on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
8. Bake at 375 for 6-9 minutes. (Mine took 6 minutes)
9. Sprinkle sugar/peppermint mix on cookies generously immediately when cookies are removed from the oven.

 Candy Cane Cookie "White" Dough

 "Red Dough"

 Chilled dough being rolled into balls/strips

 Peppermint Sprinkle Topping

 Candy Cane Cookies

Baked Cookies with Peppermint Sprinkle Topping

 Festive Candy Cane Cookies

Enjoy!
Brittney





No comments:

Post a Comment