Sunday, December 15, 2013

De Ja Vu Christmas

I've been pretty nostalgic lately this Christmas. I just want to recreate my childhood memories for my kids this year! I've made Candy Cane Cookies, Gingerbread Cookies, my famous Sugar Cookies and a few memorable decorations. I remember my mom asking us to hand her Christmas cards from a pile so she could tape them on the back of a door in the shape of a Christmas tree... low and behold I did the same thing this year!

Decorations wise I tried and FAILED miserably at making Cinnamon Applesauce ornaments for our Christmas Tree. My dough never got brittle and just stayed super moist - hopefully you have better luck! To cheer myself up I found an adorable printable I printed and put in my 'seasonal' 8"x10" black frame.

We actually celebrated an "Early Christmas" this morning and boy do my husband and I love playing Santa! So awesome to see our kiddos run down the stairs and their faces light up with their new gifts! Both boys were good this year and we really just enjoyed watching them play all day, eating cinnamon rolls, and drinking coffee. We look forward to spending 'real' Christmas with our family on the East Coast.

Easy way to display Holiday cards!

FREE Printable!

Sugar Cookie Recipe

- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour (plus 2 1/2 tbsp. at high altitude)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt

1. Beat butter and sugar until well combined.
2. Add eggs and vanilla. 
3. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. Slowly add to butter mixture until a ball forms. Place dough in plastic wrap in the fridge for 2 hours.
5. Roll out and use your favorite cookie cutters. Bake on parchment paper lined baking sheets at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes.

Gingerbread Cookies

- 2 3/4 cups flour (plus 3 tbsp. at high altitude)
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses 

1. Beat butter and brown sugar together until well combined.
2. Add egg and molasses. 
3. In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt together.
4. Slowly add to molasses mixture until ball forms. Place dough in plastic wrap in the fridge for 2 hours.
5. Roll out and use your favorite cookie cutters. Bake on parchment paper lined baking sheets at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.

Sugar Cookies and Gingerbread Cookies

Yummy! 
*I got a new camera for my blog so I hope my pictures will only get better as I learn how to use it!

My Christmas babies in their pajamas!

Enjoy!
Brittney

Bonus: If you are looking for a cute "Teacher Gift," I found these super cute glasses by Lyla Bug Designs for my son's Preschool teachers. They can be personalized and you can choose what color fonts and bow you want. I chose red and blue because those are their school colors. Plus I am a sucker for "Keep Calm and..." sayings so I had to get these! I found cute gift bags and tags at Hobby Lobby and just filled the cups with holiday Hershey kisses. I want one of these cups for myself :) (They have other sayings as well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment