Sunday, September 15, 2013

It's Pumpkin Season!

Oh Fall... I love Fall. I love pumpkins. I love scarves. I love Halloween. I love pumpkin tasting everything! So naturally I bought my first can of Pumpkin the second I saw them in the grocery store, and of course I had to make something immediately with my can of Pumpkin. Behold the Low-Fat Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffin! So yummy when warmed up with a smear of butter on it... Very glad I have left overs!

We have been having a lot of rain lately, so I bought some Borax to make Halloween Orange Gak with my son... very easy to make. Unfortunately, my son was NOT a fan. Hopefully your kid will like it!

Low-Fat Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

Ingredients:

- 1 1/2 cup flour (plus 1 1/4 tbsp. at high altitude)
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup Pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 2/3 cup Almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
*optional - extra oatmeal to sprinkle on top of muffins

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and oatmeal together.
3. In your Kitchenaide mixer mix pumpkin, brown sugar, egg whites, almond milk, applesauce, and banana.
4. Slowly add the flour mixture.
5. Fold in chocolate chips.
6. Fill muffin pan 3/4 full. Sprinkle extra oatmeal on top of muffins.
7. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. (Mine took 20 minutes)

 First Can of Pumpkin!

 Muffin Mixture

 Muffins out of the oven

Low-Cal Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins

Halloween Orange Gak

Ingredients:

- 1 tsp. Borax
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 bottles of glue (about 8 oz.)
- Orange food coloring

1. Dissolve borax in warm water.
2. In a large bowl empty glue entirely and add some food coloring.
3. Add borax/water to the glue mixture and stir with a spoon until gak forms.

 Food coloring, Borax and 7.625 fl. oz. of glue

 Glue in the Bowl

 Adding Orange Food Coloring

 Mixing it all together...

Not a fan of Gak! (Look at that face!)

Enjoy!
Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment